Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2007

July 26: GHOTI Day




Today is the birthday of English playwright George Bernard Shaw. He was born in Dublin in 1856 and began his writing career as a journalist and theater critic in London. Eventually he began writing plays of his own, his most famous being Pygmalion (1912) -- the play upon which the musical My Fair Lady is based. In 1925, Shaw was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature.


What does all this have to do with the word "Ghoti"? To find out read on.

2 comments:

Cheryl Miller Thurston said...

When I was teaching, I always put a big cartoon fish on the wall at the front of the room, with the word "GHOTI" printed below it. Someone would always ask about it, eventually, and it made for an interesting lesson in spelling.

Unknown said...

I've got a sign in my classroom that says "eschew obfuscation." It makes for a good lesson in irony.